Monday 12 March 2012

Reflective practices in discipleship

This year the way I have grown most as a teacher is via reflective practices. They way this works is


  • Teach a lesson
  • Record notes on what worked/didn't.
  • Look at them again later, compare with previous problems (are they reoccurring)
  • Analyse the cause of good things/bad things
  • Research solutions to issues
  • Test solutions, do things improve?
  • Go back to the beginning and begin again.


However, there is a second circle which comes from outside input.

  • Discuss issues with other teachers (their issues as well as yours), read a book, watch a video, read a blog etc
  • Consider if this applies to you too.
  • Act (try the idea out)
  • Analyse, did it work why/not?
  • Repeat


This process has really helped me with teaching. However, I realise that I don't really use the first aspect to discipleship. Sure I do plenty of reading/ talking about issues and thinking about applying them (and sometimes I even do record how these changes are going. However, it is a rare process.)

So this is my new goal for the month. My experiment.

  • Record my experiences of discipleship for the day
  • What was good/what was bad?
  • Analyse,
  • Then try and improve.

I'll report back the results at the end of march.