Saturday 24 March 2012

James 4: Plans

I've been thinking about creating a study on James for a while. It is one of my favourite books and one that I have read over and over again. I'd love your help.
I'm going to post some questions about different sections and I'd love you to treat it like a bible study. Hopefully in a few months it can be turned into a resource for other people to use. If not then hopefully you'll get something out of it anyway.

This section of James is one that really impacted me when I was doing my CELTA course and considering whether or not to go to Ukraine (or even carry on) It is also one that I've been thinking about recently. Hopefully you'll find it useful too.


  1. When you need to make a decision what is your thought process? 
  2. What do you think about first? 
  3. Where do you get advice? 
  4. Do you make plans for the future?


James 4: 13 - 17 [the passage bellow is in white text, highlight it to reveal the verse]
13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them 

What does this verse tell us about plans? What is different between the two approaches? Which sounds most like you out of these two quotes? 


How does this section fit into the larger passage of verse 4? 


What do you think is the best course of action to take after reading this verse?

My thoughts:
So often I like to have my plans for the next year or two laid out: 
"I will work in this city as an English teacher and try to set up X or Y and hopefully be discipled and disciple someone. If it is God's will" 
Doesn't it sound like the foolish people in the first verses?

Every time I find myself laying out detailed plans like this something comes along and ruins them! 

The amazing difference of putting God's will first and asking him rather that deciding our plans and adding as an after thought "If it is God's will" (which really means, don't get in my way God!) is a completely different way of thinking. How Often do you spend time asking God (before you have a pressing decision to make) show me your will, tell me what to do? I have to confess I frequently try to tune into God's will only when things are going "badly" and by that I mean against my will.

So take some time to ask God "What is your will? Show me what to do, guide me everyday" and then follow.