Thursday 8 March 2012

Jeff Goins book review

I can't quite remember how I first heard about Jeff Goins but I remember very quickly getting hold of a copy of his E manifesto "The Writer's Manifesto."

It immediately had an impact on me and caused me to take some risks, write for myself more, not publish something, publish others and generally shook me up, pushed me around and left me facing a very different direction.

When Jeff put out a request for people to write a review of his new eBook I jumped at the chance!

Before your first book and Every writer's Dream are two books about getting published and yet they are very different.

Before your first book 

Focuses on the first stages of getting published. Pitching and idea to a magazine or blog.  Having read a lot of Jeff's stuff before and, to some degree or other, thinking that I knew everything about getting published I found this book a great joy and surprise.

It was a very practical, step by step guide that looked at some common errors and mistakes people make when trying to get their first articles published. What's more, it even included some sample pitch letters to pepper publishers with.

I have no doubt that Jeff learned many of these mistakes the hard way and so it is great that we don't have to.

Although I had no extreme desire to have a magazine or guest blog article published prior to reading the book, I've decided to really test Jeff's advice and see what I can get published.

Every Writer's Dream.

I wonder if this book really should be called, Every artist's dream as it really can apply to more than just writer's and I am sure many other creative people could take practical applications from the book.

Every Writer's dream looks at the goal of getting published in full book form. That's not just a blog post, magazine article or chapter in a book but your own book. And best of all, this can all be done without having to make the pitch that takes up the attention of Before your first book.

In all honesty getting published is a thought that I had dwelt on at various times and I even completely failed attempted to write a novel during November last year.

In addition, I have been working on a couple of book ideas for the year and reading through Every writer's dream helped me both gain practical insights into book publishing and in inspiring me to push on with the hard task ahead.

That's not to say it's all good news. Jeff certainly warns about the hard time to come.

All in all both books really gave me a stronger desire to write, encouraged me to push on in hard times and gave me a lot better guidance and direction as to how to go about it.

All in all I would certainly recommend them even if you have no desire to get a piece of writing published but just want to carry on writing you day to day blog. 


They cost $4.99 and you can buy them here.