Thursday 22 March 2012

Choose yourself

Recently at work I've been having a lot of ideas and starting to do some very exciting projects.

The first is my project of getting my students to use blogs (or at least present them with that option) it has been great to see their reactions and involvement (though they certainly aren't being used to their full potential...yet) In addition I have also started to create a much more present social media profile for the school by

  • Creating a facebook group for the conversation club
  • Creating a facebook page for the group
  • Taking over the old twitter account
And a couple of other ideas I have buzzing around my head. 

In the past I might have had the idea, asked someone and then waited for their reply. And doing this may have lead to things happening. 

However, I didn't do it that way.

Instead, I went full steam ahead and carried out these tasks to show that I could do them and they would ad value to the company (even the blog I set up with out final approval). As such they were approved and used straight away, no one stole my idea and there wasn't a long process of consultation. 

So the result has been that these ideas are being implemented and I haven't had a chance to get bogged down in my worries about doing something. 

Obviously, there are some occasions when you need to wait to be picked, especially if your using someone else's money or it will harm their reputation. However, if it is a no (or insignificantly small) loss then go for it! It is much more likely to happen.

(At this point I'd love to thank Andrew Brims, Nat Gillet and everyone else at The Well for encouraging me to be an aggressive initiator.)