Tuesday 19 April 2011

Older and Younger Brothers

Over the last few days I have been reading a lot of Tim Keller's Book "The Prodigal God" Which I whole heartedly recommend.
For those of you who don't know, as I didn't, prodigal originally meant "wasteful, reckless and careless" and yet due to it's association of with the incorrectly named "parable prodigal Son" with "wayward". As Keller points out there are two estranged Son's in the book and from what we read only one of them is reunited with the father. If you haven't read the story you can do so here. If you want to hear Tim Keller talk on it then you can check it out here [sorry it does cost] and if you want to buy the book you can do so here.

There are definitely a few things that I have been meditating on from this so here is my first one.

When the younger brother returns to the father he is setting up a negotiation to earn his way back...the father doesn't accept the negotiation and welcomes him back straight away.

When do I come to God trying to negotiate my way back into his good books?