Sunday 10 April 2011

Monsoons and Tidal Waves

Homesickness can be a strange beast, sometimes it can feel like the monsoon season. Day in day out the sky is covered by thick black clouds and the constant rain weights heavy on your mind. The constant little reminders that you aren't at home land on your shoulders and drench your clothes, following you around the rest of the day until, and then it all begins again tomorrow.

However sometimes, like today, it comes in a different form. The last few days have felt like spring days with the warm after glow of last weeks wedding. Safe in the knowledge that I am in the last stretch of this academic year and the knowledge that the next time I returned to the UK would be at least for the summer holiday.

But then it struck. A tidal wave of emotion fell down on top of me this morning and all because I started to think about having to take the marshrutka and the hassle attached to that. Moments later whilst on a phone call talking to someone about the plans for the day I burst into tears.

Having thought more about it since that moment I can see some other things that lead to this tidal wave. I had been thinking a lot about the idea of home [like this scene in Garden state]

The future and where I'll be next year and I had heard about some exciting things that my friends had been up to recently.

Still it came very unexpectedly...still at least I got a blog post out of it...