Wednesday 30 March 2011

My thoughts about having different blogs for different topics

Recently I've been visiting some websites that offer advice on blogging, I've been running this [and the previous blog] for nearly a couple of years now and having seen some periods of higher traffic than others I wondered what I was doing right and what I wasn't. Of course ultimately even if I'm doing things "wrong" but there is a reason I am doing this way then I'm not going to change that just to get a few extra visitors.

One of the things that I have seen mentioned several times is that your personal and professional blogs should be kept separate. I can definitely see the logic in this, after all if you come to my blog to read about Teaching English or in the past politics and then you end up reading about what I've been doing in Dnipropetrovsk or Christianity it might make you not bother exploring the rest of the site or even ever returning. 

However if you look at my blog then you can see this is definitely not what I have been doing. Although the origins of the two blogs I have done were firmly rooted in Politics and in particular it's interaction with Christianity and Religion it has certainly evolved into much more of a blog of personal reflections, TEFL and Christianity and I have even come to the point of basically resigning from writing Political blog posts on this.

It does bring me back to the reason why I started Blogging in the first place. I wanted an opportunity to practice writing and develop my writing ,with the possible view of investigating if I wanted to go down the route of Journalism. However when I moved from word press to Blogger my thoughts had changed. I wanted to try and express myself in as many different ways as possible and to provided a means of keeping my family up to date on my activities out here in the Ukraine.

As such the wide range of topics has been a natural outcome of the changes in my life.

However this doesn't mean I am being as effective as I could be with what I am writing. If I write something good about TEFL then there are many people who won't encounter it if I just drop it here on this blog. As such rather than create a series of different blogs all about me I am going to try and do some more guest blog post and then provide links to them from this blog.

The logical assumption is that I will probably get less traffic if this blog becomes more personal. However I never really wanted to judge success by numbers of visitors anyway!