Thursday 9 September 2010

It's Business time!

Not related to the rest of the post:


Yesterday I taught my first business English class (I won't mention the companies name etc just in case there might be an issue with that.) which means that I have now taught Kids, Teens, Adults and Buisness lesson (all I need is for some babies and one-to-one classes and I will have a complete set (compared to the length of time it took me to get a complete set in pokemon, including mew, I almost feel disappointed at it's brevity.) The lesson only latest one hour but I will have the group three morning a week meaning we should cover more material each week. 

It was a very different experience from all the other classes I have taught so far for a wide variety of reason. It was off site in the company, which meant I had the pleasure experience of catching the tram in the morning (it is a very good thing that there is a universal 1 UAH [approximately 10p]) charge for the tram rather than having to say where I wanted to go and then get the right amount from the ticket person on the tram.) Then there was the time of day of the lesson...it was actually during the day rather than at night as all my other lessons have been (apart from my kids classes at 3:00. The material was also very company specific with the first session being all about vocab to describe companies. Finally having all your students turn up in very smart clothes was a quiet different experience too. 

After this lesson I was practically forced to take the day off due to my cold (that's right a cold) I'm not sure if I looked horrible or they were worried about me infecting everyone else but anyway I was sent home to enjoy the wonders of Ukrainian television. On the plus side I did get to watch the film Gataca, which I had borrowed from the school, It was definitely provocative on the subject of embryology and genetics. I also loved the quote from Jude Laws character "I just gave you my body, you gave me your dreams."

Today I yet again have my 3 adult pre-intermediate groups (meaning I will finish teaching at 9:20). Luckily the subject matter I am teaching is very similar to what I had already taught my teenager pre-intermediate group. As such my prep time has been ridiculously short and I have time to prep for my business class tomorrow morning.

The school may also be moving premises this weekend to a more central location in the town. The obvious advantages of it being larger, in a more prestigious area and it is located right above TGI fridays an Italian restaurant and a Sushi bar (which will make lessons ending at 9:20 much more acceptable when there is hot food straight down stairs!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment