Monday 6 September 2010

Caught in it's Greep

This weekend I came under the grip of..er...greep! That's what the Russian word for flu and after noticing the initial signs of a dry throat on Friday evening by Sunday I made a desperate attempt at ordering some cough medicine from the local pharmacist. I had done very well up, managing to use my essential TEFL skills of gestures and miming to Elicit cough, sore throat, runny nose (although my face may have revealed some of that). After being handed a bottle with some instructions I assumed that I could research any of the word lots of words that I don't understand when I got home and then work out the full instructions. After all how different can Ukrainian cough medicine really be?
Well it turns out that the instructions were in Ukrainian, which Russian as Dutch is to English/German. It turns out that I had bought some of that "add to hot water and then inhale" stuff which isn't that effective anyway! As such my Sunday wasn't really the highlight of the week but more one spend in bed/in my flat/getting "cough medicine".
On the plus side, today I was given some Tesco (in Ukraine!?!) vapour rub and some Lemsip rip off from the very helpful Oleg and my Lesson went really well! A good thing too considering one of the co-directors observed me the children to see if they were at the right lesson (I was complimented on my attempts to get the students to not use Russian.
In today's lessons I had the days of the weeks with my young kids and the new point's system had a real affect on their behaviour and then I had my teenagers do present simple Vs present continuous. Both groups really picked up their lessons and really progressed which was a real blessing consider how hard the last two had been.
The only other main thing to report from the weekend just gone was my trip to Puzata Hata a almost canteen style restaurant with tradition Ukrainian food where I had my first Borsch (I was very impressed) as well as my almost staple food of Verenykya. I had also recorded a small video update from here but, unfortunately, my computer is having some issues with loading video's from the computer and so you will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment