Thursday 23 June 2011

Who am I writing (songs) for?

Continued from yesterday:

A few years back I wrote songs.




They were for no one except myself...and maybe God.

Sometimes I share a secret ambition that other people would hear them and think they were amazing and tell me so. However in general these songs were written just for myself and for no one else.

However I went to university and something changed. I stopped writing songs.

Well more precisely I stopped finishing writing songs, I could come up with a little riff or chorus but I couldn't advance.

I'm not sure why exactly but at the same time I started to do some open mic nights at university and also found myself leading worship for the CU on a few occasions. So playing music became public for me.

Maybe I decided that my songs weren't as good as the professional musicians songs that I was singing [and they weren't] or maybe it was something else but I could no longer write a song.

And so this continued and I basically gave up trying to write songs. Until this year.

This year I set myself the challenge to write a song and put it up for public display to explore this side of me again. But I haven't and it has really frustrated me that I can't seam to finish/like anything that I write, certainly not enough to put it on the internet.

And so I read these things and realised that I have been trying to write songs for the wrong people...basically you. Really I should just write songs for me again, like I used to.

They may suck but they will be for me and to be honest that is all that matters.

So I may put some songs up on here...I may not. If I do then they'll probably be really bad but hey they'll be something that I've done.