Monday 5 December 2011

My Aims for 2012

In all honesty I have had a hard time pinning down my Aims for this year, This isn't because I haven't know what I've wanted to do in fact there have been some goals that I have been certain that I wanted to do. Unfortunately I fell in to the trap of planning.

It is without doubt easier to plan what you should do than to start doing it. In fact the longer you plan the better excuse you have for it not happening "well the plans aren't ready yet."

However:
 A good plan violently executed is better than the perfect plan.

Inspired by a post this morning which has helped refine my thinking I decided to drop some of my many many aims and instead focus on a few constant aim. A few mile posts for the year and also to have an experimental aim each month. Something to give a go at.

Thus I'll be open to any options during the year and yet committed to the long haul too.

So without further ado here are my mileposts.

  1. To write an ebook 
  2. To write another album of 12 songs, 1 a month
  3. Complete a half marathon in the Summer
  4. Change job
  5. To buy only 10 new things this year*
*this doesn't include replacing broken things, or expendables such as food or toiletries. It is luxury things such as a new guitar/computer etc all the things I don't need but want. In some ways the exceptions should make this very easy, however I like the number 10

These are my long term goals.
Each month I will:

  1. Improve my Russian via completing my Russian course book, attending a Russian discussion club once a week and spending an hour studying a week.
  2. Improve my Teaching Via completing my two IH courses, continuing blogging and the 30 goals challenges.
  3. Improve my writing via continuing the two blogs, writing an ebook on teaching dyslexic students English as a foreign language. 
  4. Write 2 songs a month
  5. Follow my Asics training schedule. [so I can complete my half marathon aim]
  6. Fast 1 a week [starting with a once a month, then twice etc]
  7. Complete daily bible in a year readings via YouVersion. 
  8. Host a party [and find a reason for hosting a party.]
  9. [This space is open in case there is a goal I wish to add later. Perhaps an experimental goal.
So finally all I have is my experiment for the month.

I will meditate [Using some guidelines set out in celebration of disciplines] each morning. 


So in total I have 9 goals for each month (one changing each month) and some long term achievements to aim for.

note: I will add more details on how I will complete my goals soon.