Monday 19 September 2011

Dacha relaxing ukraine



After months of delays and last minute cancelations I finally managed to go to a Ukrainian Dacha last weekend. A Dacha is a country house that was give as a gift [it come from the Russian verb “to give” Dats] to the old workers in the soviet era for weekend retreats and is somewhere that many city dwellers go to relax at the weekends, or constantly work on and renovate.

One of my now ex students Anna invited me and one of the other teachers [Neil] to come and visit her families Dacha.

First step was the obligatory hour long Marshootka journey to Krivass, a small town outside of Dnipropetrovsk and an hours journey away. The first thing that I noticed was a gorgeous new Orthodox church there. Many of the old churches were taken down during the Soviet purge of religion.



After a quick shop for vegtables and lavash [a form of flatbread] we headed off to the Dacha. In all I think the walk took about half an hour and it was all in glorious 28 degrees. Having awoken to a fairly cool morning heat I had decided to take a jumper with me on the journey and was by this point thinking that perhaps this wasn’t my best decision.

Upon arriving to the Dacha the decision was made to venture off into the nearby forest and explore (and throw a Frisbee). As we walked through the trees I wondered, aloud, if there was a road or river near as I could hear some loud background noise a kin to a dim hum. Upon uttering this comment I was reliably informed [see put down] with a comment that actually that was just the wind and that I was truly living up to the London city stereotype.


When we arrived back to the Dacha we set upon ourselves to build a small barbeque to cook our shashlik upon [a form of kebab]. It didn’t take long to find some cinder blocks, dried pieces of wood and we were off and cooking! I can certainly say that the chicken and peppers were cooked well and thoroughly to Neil’s own personal taste [see charcoal].

After a long and extremely filling meal we travelled down to the local river and tried our hardest to play Frisbee there. However the wind had now picked up and made ever attempt either go off course, be overpowered or underpowered.

At around 5 o’clock we packed all our equipment and set off on our journey back to Dnipropetrovsk. The returning Marshootka journey was equally long but felt a perfect end to a long day. Although we had ended up doing a fair amount of walking and I returned to Dnipro feeling very tired I also felt very relaxed. I can certainly see why Dachas are so popular.