Friday 18 February 2011

Why are words embarrassing?

As you may have seen from my 2011 years aims I am trying to write a song a month for the year to recap on my previous passion for writing songs. One of the things I have finally got round to using is a moleskin music notebook that my sister gave me as a present a few years back. I haven't used it until now as it is note based and most things I had wrote were chord and lyrically based and so I didn't need to use it. However recently I realised I could still use it for this in addition to normal note writing as such I have started carrying it around with me in the hope of capturing a moments inspiration.
During a class a student noticed my notebook and asked what it was, I had no problems explaining what it was and felt completely comfortable about him looking through at the notes that had been scribbled in place. What struck me was that if I had written some lyrics in this book then I would have hated him looking through it! For some reason my words embarrass me.
As you may remember this isn't unique to song lyrics it is also present in my blog post and I frequently feel uneasy knowing friends have read what I have written and are dissecting ever word I put down in a post.
What compounds this strangeness of this situation is that really, words are even the most common from of communication we have. What we DO actually reveals a lot about ourselves, what we value, and what we think about issues and people.
So why are words so embarrassing?