Monday 5 July 2010

The Theology Of Inspiration

I saw an interesting tweet today from @inspireleaders that got me thinking today. It said "who inspires you the most on twitter and why?". my instant reaction was that no one on twitter really inspires me. Don't get me wrong I really like the people on twitter and I find peoples comments and analysis very interesting and in some cases very funny but I don't really get inspired by them.

There have been moments, some of the stuff from the Salvation Army development fund and there was one which was a quote from Jorge Mortman which said "the opposite of poverty isn't property but is community" that really inspired me but other than that they haven't really started a chain reaction in my thought process that made me go wow, or go out and do something.

I decided to look up the word Inspire as I thought maybe that might help me think about who inspires me and i found something interesting. the word comes from the latin to breath and means to invigorate or to excite.

I am certain that this comes from a theological statement that all inspiration comes from God. When you look at the Bible God's breath is where life comes from to man. The word for spirit in the old testament is also very similar to breath as well and in general there seams to be this connection between God's spirit or breath being something that inspires, causes people to act and even the very source of life itself.

As a Christian I find that pretty exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment