Sunday 14 August 2011

google plus invite


I've had google plus for a little while now but not really used it too much. The main reason I suspect is because I don't really know anyone else who is on it. As such here is a code so you can sign up if you feel so inclined too.

https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/ngemlink?path=%2F%3Fgpinv%3Dq59kwUynEAE%3AG_3Md8pTWvg

Of course as soon as I find another social media product I start to review my use of social media as a whole and ponder the amount of time I spend on the Internet and for what purpose.

I have noticed that I have almost completely stopped using twitter. This is partially because of the lack of time I had at the summer school but I think also because I realised that there is a lot of pointless information and updates on there. Despite this I have ended up reading several interesting articles about the riots from different people. However I do feel like my twitter account suffers from being overload by people spouting off about one group or another and as such will definitely remove many of the people I'm following and I am even considering starting again for a more professional account focusing on teaching English.

Facebook has generally become something that I use less and less but does seam to still have some uses. Arranging to meet up with people and sharing photos are really great over facebook. You don't ever have to worry about losing someone's email address or phone number. Having said this privacy concerns and the risk of spending too much time do cause me concern regarding facebook.

Google plus is a new kid on the block however it has a couple of features I really want to try out. The first is the Hangout feature. In this you can have a video conference with several friends...for free. Considering the fact that I live 2000 km away from most of my friends for a large part of the year it's not too hard to see the appeal of this feature. The second is the circles feature where you can categorise people into how much information you want to share with them.

So if you fancy experimenting with Google plus with me then why not check out the link.

IF you too think that maybe you spend to much time on the internet/with modern technology, why not consider an internet fast.