Friday 24 December 2010

Travelling back

Well after 23hrs of travelling I have finally managed to reach my destination, New Malden. of course it wasn't as easy as that, oh no! Everything was going very well until I got to passport control and suddenly [I say suddenly after a 30 minute wait after initally handing over my passport] I was told that despite having a visa I hadn't got my passport stamped after my inital 30 days and so was asked to pay a penalty charge. A few phone calls later and at 18:40, when my plane was due to finish boarding, I was allowed to pass through passport control with a peice of paper informing me that I needed to transfer some money into an account. After then dashing through to the terminal in a frantic search to work out where my plane was, was it still there, were all the people seething at the idiot who didn't bring enough grivner to pay a bribe penality charge as he passed through passport control?

well actually everyone was stood next to the gate as the plane hadn't yet arrived. After a brief period [see an hour] in the que meeting American peace corps volunteers [apparently the Ukraine is the biggest station of peace corps in the world...who knew...well obviously they did as they told me] and a man who had been studying in the national engeners school for his Msc in Engenering, we were let on to the plane...to wait until we could depart.

All of which meant my arrival in the UK was 2hrs later than scheduled BUT I fortunately was not so late as to catch the last underground train. So after 23hr 3 trains, 1 bus, 1 plane, 1 underground train, I finally got home.

There have already been some interesting moments in the UK, such as going up to a counter and hearing someone speak in a British accent and in English [as opposed to russian/ukrainian or English with an accent] and readjusting to British prices [I had only just got use to thinking in Gryvner!] being on public transport and everyone speaking English and finally taking the dog for a walk.