Tuesday 7 December 2010

It ended with a hug

Today another teacher left the school, this time taking her 1 and a bit year old son with her. Having grown close to both of them over the last 3 months saying good bye was very hard, and made much harder by the fact that Brazil [where they are from] isn't exactly the closest of places to either the UK or the Ukraine.
I didn't really get to say a proper goodbye as when I believed at the time I had to rush over to the school and teach a one to one lesson [in actually fact the student had cancelled but the message didn't travel through in time] and so I had to leave with a rushed good bye and so long.
Thankfully in this modern age with have such wonderful things as Skype that mean that no matter where people are in the world, we can stay in contact but I know it won't be the same. I had grown to enjoy our regular post teaching meals, chats and running around chasing a little child up and down the house [by this I mean I loved them straight away and loved them even more by the end rather than hated them at first and was reluctantly converted]. I know that nothing will be quite like them, even if they are also enjoyable.

As I did finally say goodbye I had, what had been severely missing during my time in Dnipro. A good, long, all enveloping hug. I realised how much I missed those true heartfelt moments when you bring someone tight to you and don't let go. All of a sudden problems don't seam so bad, worries can fade away and it feels safe just to be yourself. I am certain the world would be a better place if people gave more hugs.

Final thoughts