Thursday 10 November 2011

Snow flakes

Today was significant, the first snowflakes of the winter.


I say it is significant because the highlight the end of weather that is getting cold and the start of the cold weather.

In all honesty this point was actually reached earlier in the year when the fountains were drained and turned off, or when people started wearing coats all the time. Or even last week when I switched from my summer, thinner coat, to my thicker winter coat. However the presence of Snow really hits home the fact that Winter is here.

Soon the murky slush will cover the floor and make walking to work in anything but walking boots (or the thick lined and rough soled shoes that somehow remain highly stylish that are common here in the Ukraine) near impossible. When we have the little element of snow on the floor it really does pick up on every step that is pressed against it. However, when it really comes down, no blemish can be seen on it's surface.

I love snow. I guess growing up in the UK and until the last 5 years or so of my life, where suddenly we started having Snow storms in the UK too, I had lived with only a smattering of snow flakes that would fall each year. Instead now I am in a country where there will be at least a couple of heavy snow falls a year.

Snow brightens up the dark winter and it is amazing how people can be complaining of the cold one moment and then giddily running around in the snow the next.

Here's to the first snow ball fight of the year.